Year-around flowering, Flowers in flushes throughout the year
Flower or Inflorescence color:
Plant Height or length:
2 to 4 meters
Plant Spread or Width:
1 to 2 meters
Upright or Erect
Fragrant flowers or leaves
Auspicious or Feng Shui plant
Good for making bonsai
Good for Topiary
Good for screening
Good for Hedges and Borders
Suitable for road median planting
Hanging or weeping growth habit
Must have for Farm house or big gardens
Generally available in India in quantities of:
- The reason why we have this as our representative of the FRUIT PLANT category is that we truly believe in its utility.
- Even though it is not a table fruit its appeal to the eye (and later the stomach) is phenomenal.
- Each house with an open garden or terrace should have one plant.
- An excellent sight when fruiting.
- The flowers too are numerous and very fragrant. Flowers are followed by masses of small fruit that turn a brilliant orange.
- Excellent lemonade or marmalade can be made from the fruit. They can be enjoyed when on the tree and off it also.
- This is a favorite plant for the Chinese who use it for decoration during their new year. It is said to signify gold and wealth.
Use of Hazari Narangi or Kumquot oranges – You should let these fruit stay on the plants for maximum time as they are very pretty to look at. You can make fresh juice just like lemonade. Add the juice of one orange to a glass. Add sugar and very little salt. Serve chilled. It has a very fresh orange – lime flavor.
These oranges make a tasty pickle as well. Wash them properly, cut them into 4 pieces. Add chilli powder, sugar and salt and keep in air tight bottle in sunlight for a fortnight or so. A most yummy oil free pickle is ready!
-Plants require maximum sunlight to flower and fruit properly.
-Plant in large containers - so that the plants can grow and fruit well.
-A good idea is to remove all the flower buds in the first year and allow the plant to grow.
-Plants should be allowed to dry out between watering.
-Regular application of organic fertilizers will keep the fruit coming.
-Plants are ideally planted in the ground in a sunny location in a lawn.